YOU CAN RUN/WALK OUR RACES "WITHOUT A MASK"! It is always a privilege for Kona to serve you, which is why we want to make you aware of additional steps we’re taking to protect you, your family & friends when you decide to participate at our upcoming Kona race events. While many of these changes are temporary, our commitment to your safety and well-being will always remain during these challenging times with this Covid-19 pandemic.
Alan Whitehead & Kona Staff
Our Race Plans today will implement these precautionary measures & changes:
- New Staggered Start Line with secured corral area of only three participants in a group spaced across using a cadence device to release each group at start line approx. 4-5 seconds apart. A wider start line opening of 15 feet reducing density of participants in the start area.
- We recommend all participants wear masks specifically at the start & finish of the race but not mandatory. You must wear a mask while at post race food line. Race Participants who do not wear a mask will start in separate start wave.
- All race staff & key volunteers will wear face masks, gloves & face shields plus hand sanitizer bottles available to you at beginning of food line.
- Secured lines & ample spacing to serve everyone safely at our packet pickup area with extended time added to expo schedule.
- We will provide self serve bottles of Absopure water at finish line area but no course fluid stations are offered in 5K events. Only 8K and 10K events will offer fluid stations on the courses.
- New Finish Line area setup is narrower to allow safe distance between participants & shield exposure from spectators. At specific point the family/friends group can meet up with the race participants.
Note: We will remain flexible on our race plans until the race date to ensure this is a safe & fun event for our participants especially from a WHO medical perspective.